Monday, June 29, 2009

Betsy's Napoleon

Emma Watson is attached to star in the period romance “Napoleon and Betsy,” replacing Scarlett Johansson who was deemed too old for the role. Watson, 18,
will play Betsy Balcombe, a young, impetuous noblewoman trapped on the isolated
British island of St. Helena who falls in love with Napoleon, who has been
exiled there. Johansson, 23, is still serving as a producer.
What this means is that Harry Potter's best friend Hermione Granger is now going to play Betsy.
But period romance?
Betsy was 13 when he arrived.....I have never heard of a romance between them...say it isn't so.
I am currently reading Betsy's Napoleon by Jeanette Eaton. Written in 1936. It is the WORST book I have ever tried to get through. The Betsy in this book is a huge pain. I am about to throw this book into the Good Will bin. BUT. I am trying to get up to speed with this Betsy person.
Hopefully I won't be the person in the movie theatre screaming "lies, all lies" when they blow the romance angle way out of proportion.......
**

10 comments:

Ms. Lucy said...

No comment except...(to quote you): Please say it isn't so! Sheesh!

Shako said...

You may want to try To Befriend An Emperor by the real thing i mean person...I haven't read it yet but I would like to and yes I did hear about this real early in March but I wasn't totally sure if it was true. I think all the dumb kids in this continent ought to read this because everybody's saying he is dictator etc. and nobody except possibly Betsy and maybe his children have ever had a chance to glimpse the true side of Napoleon.

And Ms. Lucy is right I hope Watson doesn't mess it all up because I think it must be a beautiful story, probably the base for all friendship stories like that, and I hope the person actually writes the script properly. And do not worry about the romance rumour because it was never true: It was spread by a jealous Englishman who wanted them to be made fun of when they were only friends, trying to entertain themselves through the grim years of exile. I think you can buy it on Amazon, here's the link if it works:
http://www.amazon.com/Befriend-Emperor-Balcombes-Memoirs-Napoleon/dp/1905043031/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236284540&sr=1-1.
I know it sounds complicated but this comment is getting a bit long so I will wrap it up with please copy the link into the search toolbar and don't type it in. I am a fool so I always type it in.

Watson better make this her best, or else in the name of the Emperor...

Napoleona said...

The romance thing's just stupid, how dare they?!

Shako said...

*pants like a mad person after super-long post*
Oh, and the intro was by J. David Markham, but you knew that, didn't you? =D

Carmi said...

That's it. Have ordered To Befriend an Emperor...this book I am reading can't be finished.As for the intro...I didn't know who wrote it..I clipped it from a hollywood movie site. Always good to have more information!

Shako said...

Anytime, mate. You know I owe you.

isnotthatstrange said...

As a fan of Napoleon myself i understand where you are coming from. The relationship between Betsy and Napoleon was not romantic, instead he was more of an uncle to her. This movie makes no sense, especially as they have cast emma watson as the lead. It is just another way for hollywood to make money

Anonymous said...

I have just stumbled across your site in one of my many times of googling "napoleon". I have to say that I am a HUGE fan of Napoleon and this site is simply amazing! I wish I had your connections! I just wanted to say thanks for all the awesome stuff you post. As for the film I'm sure it will be a Hollywood hit, but a disaster in our eyes :( Perhaps "Betsy and the Emperor" (the one with Al Pacino) will be better? Hope you have a great day! :)

John Tyrrell said...

At the risk of always being a naysayer - by no stretch of the imagination was Betsy Balcombe a "noblewoman".

Interesting blogs nevertheless!

Shako said...

So now I'm asking, "What's the difference between Napoleon & Betsy" and "Betsy & the Emperor"? Have they got different actors?